huvudentre.jpg

Chalmers University of Technology: B.Sc. Thesis

In our B.Sc. Thesis, for SCA, we evaluated a current packaging solution and developed a new solution, focusing on improving the conditions for usability. Detailed usability studies, questionnaires and research proved several problems we took into consideration when developing a new package.

 
 

Development of a packaging solution

This was our bachelor thesis project, 2014, "Development of a packaging solution for incontinence care products with focus on usability". If you want to read more you find a short summary of the thesis here!

 

Introduction
First, we evaluated the current packaging solution for TENA Slip. Then, we developed a new solution, mainly focusing on improving the conditions for usability. Detailed usability studies, questionnaires and research proved several problems with the current packaging. The project resulted in a packaging concept intended to solve the existing usability problems with the packaging, but also considered an improvement of the packaging’s construction, manufacture methods and distribution.

 
The number 30 doesn’t tell me anything!
— Quote 2, test person nr 2
 

Usability Test
The test showed that none of test persons noticed the opening instructions and only 2/9  were opened the packaging in the correct manner. There were a few test persons who did not use the perforation and some test persons did only open the top of the packaging. There was one test person who did not manage to get the protection out of the packaging at all. 

 
 

Evaluation of the current product
We evaluated the packaging through an extensive usability test. The test involved observations of test subjects representing the real users, who were performing relevant tasks with the packaging of TENA Slip. Below you see the results from users trying to open the package under evaluation, together with some quotes.

 
It took a long time, since I didn’t find the perforation
— Quote 1, test person nr 2
Mini magic ultra plus .. these names make things complicated
— Quote 3, test person nr 9.
 

Further research & development
We also wanted to research further upon the real user situation. So, we conducted an anonymous surve, since it is a subject many people don't feel comfortable talking about . This resulted in 19 answers from people that used our specific product daily. We got very deep insights in the life of our users and even understood other problems that came along with using the product, that we couldn't get out from just usability testing.  

Result  
We developed a new concept based on these insights. The development also included construction, manufacturing and economical benefits. But that, I'll not talk about here! You find a (much) more detailed summary here